The following items have been identified by Inova software and should be taken into consideration when installing and using the Inova – Add-In for Outlook. Inova is working to correct these issues, and improvements will be seen in future releases.
Proxy blocks installation
During the installation of the Inova – Add-In for Outlook, the install program accesses an Inova web site to check that the current version of the Add-In is being installed. If the install program is not installing the latest version, it will download the latest version of the Add-In from the Inova web site.
Inova has seen a few instances where a client’s proxy server blocks access to the Inova web site for the install program to perform this check and, consequently, the installation does not complete.
There are three possible work-arounds to this issue:
- Add access to the following URL to allow access to the proxy server: http://inova-software.com/OutlookAddin/FINAL/InovaPushAddin.vsto.
- If installing on a laptop, perform the installation at a location other than while on the corporate network. For example, perform the installation while connected to the internet at the user’s home.
- See the section Alternative Installation for ‘offline’ installation instructions.
In addition, the following pre-requisite packages are downloaded and installed, if they do not already exist on the PC:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.x
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable
If a firewall blocks the download of these Microsoft packages it may be necessary to reach out to the local IT/network staff for assistance in downloading and installing these packages manually.
If the Microsoft packages are downloaded manually, the following are the minimum version numbers needed:
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 : 4.5.50938
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.2 : 4.5.51209
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (x64) : 10.0.50903
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable : 10.0.40219
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable : 12.0.305501
User prompted to enable the add-in
If the user sees a warning message from Outlook that the Add-In is disabled, the user should always choose to enable the Add-In by, for example, clicking the button labelled “Always enable this add-in”. The following screen shot is an example of the prompt seen by some users, along with the “Always enable…” button
Error attempting to install
If, when installing the Inova Add-In, a pop-up with the message "An error occurred attempting to install InovaPushAddIn" is shown, this could be due to a known issue with the VSTO installer on later Microsoft operating systems, for example, Windows 10.
If this message appears, click on the Details button and note the details, especially the location of the installation log file. Open the installation log file and scroll to the bottom of the file.
If the last messages in the file are the following, this is most likely due to a problem with the VSTO installer:
URLDownloadToCacheFile failed with HRESULT '-2146697208'
Error: An error occurred trying to download
Following is a work-around which may help this issue:
- Open the folder “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VSTO\10.0”
- Rename the file VSTOInstaller.config to VSTOInstaller.bak
- Execute the setup.exe file from Inova
- Rename the file VSTOInstaller.bak back to its original name of VSTOInstaller.config
Documents not pushed when the "create asset" option used
Some users have noted that when using the Add-In to push an email to the application, if the “Create Asset” short cut is used, AND the email has documents attached to it, the documents are not always pushed to the new asset.
Inova is working on a fix for this issue. In the interim, the work-around is to not use an email with documents attached to create an asset. For example, the user can first create the asset within the application’s UI, and then push the email with attached document to the new asset. Alternatively, the user can use the Add-In to create the asset with an email that does not have any documents attached to it.
Special characters in user's password
We have seen when a user has certain special characters in their password, the Add-In, though it is able to connect to the Inova Partner application, it does not allow the display of options to the user. Specifically we have seen this issue when the user has an ampersand (“&”) in the password.
Inova is working on a fix for this problem in a future release. In the interim, the work-around is to change the user’s password so that the special character causing the problem is not in the password.
Unable to package installer to deploy to multiple users
Currently the installation package is not available in a form that can be used to ‘push out’ the install of the Add-In to multiple users automatically, for example, as an MSI package. Inova are working on correcting this.