Lists of records in can be customized, saved, and reused as Views. Configuring a View allows you to prioritize and filter the information in the list so that what is displayed is most relevant to you. You can also export a view for ad-hoc reporting.
Lists are generally displayed with two default tabs: All and My. The "All" tab will contain all the objects of that type and the "My" tab is filtered to show only the objects of that type that you own or that you're linked to as a contact or via an authorization.
A list will include various additional features, depending upon how you access it. If you click on a link from the menu, you will see the expanded version of a list, as shown below:
As shown in the screenshot, the expanded view of a list includes Action Button as well as the option in the top-right corner to create Views.
But you can also view some lists from within the overview screen of an object, or on the home page:
This simpler version of the view only has one Action Button, the option to create a new object of that type.
To display the expanded view of a list, just click the expand button on the tab :
Filtering and sorting lists
You can apply filters and sorts to a list to organize the information based on the columns currently displayed.
- Sort the list by clicking on the arrows on the column you want to sort by.
Note that once you apply a sort on a column, if you try to sort on a second column, it will not remove the first sorting; the second will be added to the first--for example, sorting by by status, then by name. If you want to change the sorting altogether, first click Clear Sortings, then apply the new sorting.
- Filter the results by entering values in specific fields you need.
Note that you can filter by multiple values in the same column by selecting the first value, pressing CTRL, then selecting the rest of the values. You can remove individual filter values in the same way, or click Clear Filters to remove all filters on all columns at once.
You can use a list to perform searches by entering a string into the column filter box and pressing Enter--for example, in the Name column in the above example. When filtering by text, it's not necessarily to enter the full string--a partial string, such as the first four characters in a company name, will also work:
This is an effective workaround if global search isn't working at the time.
The navigation tools for a list are at the bottom, as shown below:
- Navigate directly to a page within the list by entering the page number and pressing enter.
- Click the arrow buttons to scroll through the list one page at a time or to go directly to the first or last page in the list.
- Change the number of records displayed per page by selecting from this dropdown.
Create a new view
You can configure a list and save the configurations as a view. Configuration options include:
- Selecting the columns you want to display, including columns representing fields from linked objects
- Defining the order of the columns
- Defining the number of results displayed at a time on the page
- Filtering out archived objects
Access list configuration options by clicking the wrench button in the top-right corner of the list:
The configuration page will appear as follows:
- Click Create New View to create a brand-new set of configurations for the list, OR
- Create a new view based on an existing view or template. Select the view or template in the list at left and click the corresponding Copy button.
- As new views or template views are added, they appear in these lists.
- When creating the new view, give it a distinctive name.
- Select the columns you want to display.
- Drag and drop the selected columns to change the column ordering. Click the X next to a column to remove it from the view.
- Select a Grouping if needed.
- By default, archived records are included. Click No to have archived records filtered out.
- Select the number of rows to be displayed per large list and small list.
- Click Save when done.
Saved views are user-specific: Only you can see the views you create. Your application administrator, however, can create template views and publish them to all the users, which can be convenient for users in similar roles. Template views are accessible via the dropdown:
Users can use the templates as-is to view the data. They can also adapt a template to fit their needs by copying it to their views list first, then applying changes as described above.
Export into Excel and other action buttons
Once you've created a view for your list and applied the correct sorting and filtering, you can generate an ad-hoc report for sharing with your colleagues, apply a batch change, and adjust the list in other ways.
- Click Export. The system will display a preview page:
- Click on the Export button to generate the file. Output options are Excel or Word. Most users prefer exporting to an Excel spreadsheet as the data is easier to further manipulate.
- When exporting to Excel, fields containing multiple list values will by default be separated into separate rows in the spreadsheet, as shown below under Asset: Therapeutic Area.
If you check the option Merge Cells in Row, all of the values for that field on the object will be merged in to a single cell in the spreadsheet, so the entire record will only take one row in the spreadsheet, as shown below:
- Cells in the export can contain links to the application, e.g. company or asset name.
- Edit Page allows you to batch edit the displayed fields of all the records displayed in the list. Note that there are some known issues related to Edit Page, so please refer to the FAQ before using this feature.
- Almost all lists will have a Create New button on the far left side of the list.
- When sorting and/or filtering are applied to the list, these buttons appear to allow you to quickly clear your selections when needed.
- Switch between views using the dropdown.
- The wrench button takes you to the list configuration page.