Activities help you track all the tasks that need to be executed and completed on a project or other object. You can assign an activity to another user and set a reminder for them to complete the task. Activities that a user creates or is linked to appear in the "My Activities" tab on their home page.
Activities can be created from:
- The Activities tab of an object, as described below.
- The Workflow tab of an object, as described in this page.
- By default, as defined in the administration module.
Note that it's recommended that you use the Workflow tab to manage your milestone and activity tracking. The Activities tab is available on most objects, but the Workflow tab provides better usability and other improvements that will make using the application easier and more efficient.
Create an activity from the Activities tab
You can create an activity by going on a project or other object and clicking New Activity in the Activities tab.
The New Activity form appears:
- The name allows the owner of the task to easily understand (and later remember) what the task is about.
- If you want to indicate that the task owner will need some help from other people, use Person(s) Associated. If you add other application users to the task as Person(s) Associated, the task will appear on their "My Activities" tab on the home page.
- You can only assign an application user to a task. This person is responsible for either completing the task or making sure that the person supposed to complete it does so on time. This person should update the status of the activity when applicable. Until the task status is changed to Completed, the task will be displayed under both the creator's and the owner's home page on the "My Activities" tab.
As soon as you save the task, the system will send an email alert to the task assignee.
- If you have many tasks to complete, Priority can help you track the most urgent ones.
- The Status is automatically consistent with the Initiated Date and Complete Date. The Status could be either "Not Started" when there is no Initiated Date, "In Progress" when there is an Initiated Date, but not a Complete Date, and "Complete" when there is a Completed Date.
- Select the appropriate Parent Milestone (see next section).
- Use the Category to indicate which kind of task this is for reporting purposes.
- Describe everything that needs to be done in this task.
- Once the task is complete, there may be some further Action Items to execute.
- The Initiated Date is the date that the activity is started.
- The Due Date allows users to sort activities by due date directly on their homepage, in the My Activities tab.
- The Complete Date indicates that the task is competed. When completed, a task will disappear from the "My Activities" portlet.
- Additionally, you can set up some reminders. Under Reminder Recipients (automatically pre-populated with your name), you can select the users who should receive a reminder. This reminder will be sent upon the completion of the task if the checkbox "On Completion" is checked, but most users use the date picker to select a specific date as a reminder that the task is NOT yet completed.
- You can also attach documents related to the execution and completion of the task.
Activities can also be used to trigger the scheduling of milestone payment or event due dates related to a contractual obligation. In this case, you must create the activity on the obligation's related agreement before selecting it as a triggering activity. Click here for details about obligations and here to learn about triggering activities.
Manage/Edit an activity
- To edit an activity to change the due date or the content of some fields, click "Edit Activity". Note that if you try to remove a date while editing the activity, you will have to also update the status field for the change to be correctly saved.
- You can archive an activity to filter it out from the lister view.
- If you want to change the assigned person, click Assign To. An email about the change of ownership will be sent to both the previous and the new assignee.
Any user (assuming this user has the appropriate rights) can change the assigned person.
- You can delete an activity that is no longer valid for the project.
Associate an activity to a workflow stage
To learn more about tracking activities within the new workflow tab, check this section on Milestones.
Below we can see an example of an active project's workflow, with the Screening phase completed and the Due Diligence phase ongoing.
- The "Triage Meeting" activity, belonging to the Screening milestone, has been completed.
- The "Prepare CDA" activity, belonging to the Due Diligence milestone, is in progress. The user can click Complete and select the completed date for the milestone in the popup, indicated that the task has been completed and entering any related comments.
- The "Scientific Evaluation" activity, belonging to the Due Diligence milestone, has not yet started. For this milestone, the user can click Initiate once the task has started and is in progress. Doing so will automatically populate the Initiated Date with today's date.
- The "Marketing Evaluation" activity, belonging to the Due Diligence milestone has not yet started. The user can click on Complete and select a date in the popup to indicate that this task has been completed. Doing so will automatically populate both the Initiated Date and the Complete Date with the date selected in the popup.
Default activities in the Workflow tab
In the new Workflow tab, default child activities are indicated with a special icon, as shown below:
Default child activities can be edited and reordered, but not deleted.